The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) recently published new Compensation & Pension Exam Fact Sheets, which explain many details about C&P exams that can be confusing for veterans and family members. In my humble opinion, VBA has done an excellent job with this new education effort.
Here are five (5) things to know from these new C&P exam Fact Sheets:
1) VBA introduced a new term for C&P exams: Claim Exams or VA claim exam.
2) Psych C&P exams take 2-4 hours (“a mental-health evaluation typically lasts two to four hours”). Most other claim exams take 15 minutes to one hour.
3) Another new term: VA Partner, which refers to contract companies that provide C&P exams via a network of doctors in the private sector.
4) VBA now publishes up-to-date average time estimates for claim completion. Go to the Disability Benefits Application Process page on Vets.gov and scroll about half down the page to How long does it take VA to make a decision?
Sidebar: If you do not want to leave PTSDexams.com, Right-click on a link and select “Open in a new tab.”
5) Many veterans will receive an even faster claims decision if they use the new Decision Ready Claims (DRC) program.
→ You must have a Veterans Service Officer who participates in the DRC program in order to file a decision ready claim.
⇒ See the Decision Ready Claims FAQ sheet for more info.
Military.com also has an informative article about the new Decision Ready Claims program.
Finding a Veterans Service Officer
To search for a Veterans Service Officer in your area, go to the VSO Search page on eBenefits, select Recognized Veterans Service Organization (VSO), then search by Zip Code within a 50 mile radius (you can change the mile radius if you wish).
Note that each State has a veterans affairs department, and most of them have Veterans Service Officers.
The VA considers a state veterans affairs department to be a “veterans service organization”, so you will see in your search results both traditional veterans service organizations such as Paralyzed Veterans of America or the American Legion, as well as local offices of your State’s veterans affairs department.
VBA Video about Psych C&P Exams
After this video about Psychological Claim Exams, I provide links to each of the compensation and pension exam Fact Sheets.
This is an informative video, although the faceless people are a bit odd. ;-)
Compensation and Pension Exam Fact Sheets
Note that all of the links below are for “fact sheets” in PDF format.
Your VA Claim Exam: Know What’s Next – Overview of the claims process and important facts about claim exams (C&P exams).
VA Claim Exam: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Four (4) pages of detailed information in a Question & Answer format.
Your VA Claim Exam – 11 Helpful Tips – They are good tips.
Six (6) Steps of the VA Claim Exam Process – One page, brief overview.
VA Compensation & Pension: Understanding Mental Health Examinations – Good info in this one.
VA Compensation and Pension: Understanding Review Examinations – Commonly misunderstood, this fact sheet presents helpful info.
When you go to the VBA Videos page on YouTube, look over to the right for the SORT BY link, which allows you to sort the videos by Most Popular, Date Added (Oldest), or Date Added (Newest).